04 May 2010

Tuesday Poem: Sex In An Elevator

Sex in an Elevator

Unlike Scarlett Johansson
I have never had sex in an elevator
with Benicio Del Toro, or Guillermo Del Toro
or any member
of the Del Toro clan.

Likewise
I have never had sex with Scarlett Johansson
though I was there with Bill Murray
right through Lost in Translation.

At the Unemployed Rights Centre in Dunedin
they said there was a ghost in the stairwell.
It certainly was cold
and not somewhere
I'd choose to linger.

I never had sex there either
not with the ghost
not with Scarlett watching.


All Blacks' Kitchen Gardens cover


You can buy All Blacks' Kitchen Gardens online from New Zealand Books Abroad or Fishpond, or find out more about it.

Or, even easier, you can order a copy directly from me, by sending an email to senjmito (at) gmail.com. Within New Zealand, that will cost you $15 including postage & packing. If you're from overseas, please get in touch and I'll let you know the total cost.

Check out the Tuesday Poem Hub Blog for Emma Barnes' "come here at once" and all this week's other Tuesday Poems.

10 comments:

Rich said...

That's elegant.

Mary McCallum said...

Heh, heh - love it, Tim. Might have to buy that book of yours.

Tim Jones said...

Rich: Thanks!
Mary: Please don't feel compelled to ... oh, actually, on second thoughts, please do feel compelled to!

Kay Cooke said...

A lovely poem ... :) Yay for fantasies with a twist of wry.

Claire Beynon said...

This had me smiling, Tim - there's something elegant (as Rich implies) about restraint, eh?

Janis Freegard said...

I like this Tim - and I already have the book!

Tim Jones said...

Kay: as far as I know, no statement in this poem is untrue.

That stairwell in the old Unemployed Rights Centre always gave me a very strange feeling. Maybe it was just the draught blowing through it, but I most certainly wouldn't have wanted to spend a night trapped there. Distinctly eerie.

Claire: The film "Lost in Translation" was restrained, so I guess I was going for a similar feel.

Tim Jones said...

Janis (your comment mysteriously appeared after I posted my previous comment): Thank you! Funnily enough, the Aerosmith song "Love in an Elevator" came on the office iTunes today. There's no connection, of course...

melissashook said...

Sorry about your losses in the sex department,
but very glad about the poem.
thanks

Tim Jones said...

Thanks (I think), Melissa! It would never have worked with Scarlett, anyway - that whole spring-and-autumn thing.